Monday, February 15, 2010

90 Years Young


It's true, I am a full fledged member of the "sandwich" or "sandwitch" generation. You know the generation that is sandwiched in between, being a daughter, a mother, and a grandmother, let alone a wife and if I am really rested, sometimes a lover. Most of the time, I am kind of a peanut butter and jam kind of sandwicher, but every once in a while I step it up and become the gourmet, hogie, lots of garnisher kind of sandwicher.




This weekend I took my 90 year old mother to see her 94 year old sister. I had so much fun. They are two of the cutest, white haired, short little women you have ever seen. If you stood them up end to end it appears that you get about a 6'1" woman. I love seeing them together, they don't get to see each other very often due to the distance, and the fact that they are both independent, but are smart enough not to make the three hour drive to see each other, and yes, they both still have driver's licenses. (You can take that up with your state legislature, I don't have time).




They sat together on the couch and I left the room, I know that there are things that sisters like to share that they don't want their daughters to know. I could hear them talking and laughing together like a couple of high school girls in the back of a boring classroom. I admired them, so much time had passed and they both have been worn and tired from life's long hardships, and yet the humor and optimism prevailed, I wish I could have been in there and seen the light and laughter in their eyes, the bond that sisters have, the memories, the love for each other.




On the way home my mother said; "I always feel when I leave, that it may be the last time I see my sister." She could be right. But for now, there was a sweet and loving smile and a kind remembrance of times together. Hell, for all I know they will both live to be 100. Works for me, I'll step up to the plate and serve a great party. Hell, I might even buy a new outfit.

2 comments:

  1. I'll buy a new outfit, too. We'll shop together and buy lovely heels to make our giant Wood calves look more petite. Deal?

    ReplyDelete